Saturday 7 May 2011

How Should I Pray?

My wife prayed quite specifically for me, but probably not in the way you think. She prayed that the Lord would work in my life, help me develop in ways that pleased him and strengthened me, before she ever met me. She didn't know if I would be short or tall, with much hair or little (it turned out to be little). She prayed about the things that were most important to her and she prayed that God would bless her unknown future husband. When she met me she knew her prayers were answered! (It's just great being the answer to someone's prayers.) Praying specifically built her faith, too.

By the way, she does think I'm handsome and I think she's beautiful! Don't think that if you pray for a prince you will get a frog. God wants to give you the best possible person as your life partner. Looks aren't everything, though. And it seems to me that we make far too much of that part of courtship.

As for myself, I wasn't that specific. The one prayer that I remember praying was that the Lord would keep me from making a mistake! I knew myself and I knew how easily I could fall in love. I'd already fallen in, and out, of love several times. I prayed that the Lord would keep me from becoming emotionally involved with anyone other than the woman I would marry.

When I met Diane, I really prayed! I even tried to tell the Lord she wasn't the one, not because she wasn't pleasing to me, but because she was! I was afraid I was falling for someone again when it wasn't the right time. But eventually I saw that this wonderful young woman and I were a great match.

Both of us had, and still have, our imperfections. But none of those imperfections have ever been major problems because we are both thankful for the positive things in each other. We are totally committed to God, and in his love we are totally committed to each other.

I'm a happy man. I have a happy wife. We have a thirty-five year record of success in all kinds of trials and situations. We're both glad that we waited on God's timing and that we are making this journey together. What the Lord has done for us he can do for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Do continue to browse the blog.