Monday 26 March 2012

Long Distance Love

by Dr. Gary Chapman

Question:
"How can one deal with a long distance relationship when the spouse's love language is Physical Touch? I am desperate and don't want this to end because of the distance."

Answer:
I am often asked this question when I speak to military couples. The good news is that all of the love languages can be spoken long distance. I know you may be thinking, "How can I speak the language of Physical Touch when we are half a world away?" It's not that difficult.

In a letter, phone call, or e-mail you say, "If I were with you, I would put my arms around you and give you a kiss you would never forget."

No, it is not the same as actually doing it. However, it communicates love emotionally. They know that you are thinking about them and their love language. One wife said recently, "Learning to speak my husband's love language long distance has made a world of difference. And, he is speaking my language. He writes, "If I were at home, I'd vacuum the floor and take out the trash without your asking. Wow! That speaks to me." So my advice? Try it. I think you'll like it.


Continue the conversation: Share your questions, thoughts insights, or comments by joining the conversation on Facebook at facebook.com/5lovelanguages

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Do continue to browse the blog.